The main objective of the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre is to maintain a centre of excellence for research on nuclear science and technology and ionising radiation.
Therefore SCK•CEN will:
- In priority conduct research with regard to safety of nuclear installations, safe treatment and disposal of nuclear waste, protection of man and environment against radiation, management of fissile and other strategic materials.
- Conduct research with regard to social implications within the scope of the pursuit of sustainable development.
- Develop, gather and spread the necessary knowledge through education and communication.
- Provide all services asked for in the domain concerned, in particular by the nuclear industry, the medical sector and the gouvernment.
- Make the necessary pluridisciplinary scientific contacts concerning the energy problem.
SCK•CEN company synopsis (1 MB)
The SCK•CEN research activities are concentrated into three scientific institutes that each study a specific field of nuclear applications. A fourth institute ensures the supporting services and the administration.
- Institute for Nuclear Materials Science - NMS - Leaflet NMS (548 kB)
- Institute for Advanced Nuclear Systems - ANS - Leaflet ANS (581 kB)
- Institute for Environment, Health and Safety - EHS - Leaflet EHS (562 kB)
- Institute for Corporate Services and Administration - CSA
SCK•CEN has about 700 employees, of which one third has an academic degree.
The turn-over amounts to 95 million euros per year:
- 45 % directly from a government grant;
- 12 % indirectly via activities for the dismantling of declassified installations;
- 43 % revenues from contract work and services.